Rhina P. Espaillat, born in the Dominican Republic, started writing poetry in Spanish and English after her family was exiled to the United States. She has published in both languages. This $500 undergraduate prize celebrates original poems written in Spanish and translations of English poems to Spanish.
We ask that applicants adhere to the following guidelines.
- The annual competition is open to all undergraduate poets who are enrolled in a college/university in the United States.
- The submission should consist of a cover letter and up to three poems. Please put only the title of the poem at the top of the manuscript.
- The author's name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number should be placed on a separate sheet of paper.
- There is a $10 entry fee for submission of up to three poems. Those three may be any combination of poems submitted to the Iris N. Spencer award, the Myong Cha Son Haiku Award, or the Rhina P. Espaillat award. Make payment to: WCU Foundation. Multiple entries are accepted.
- All submissions must be postmarked no later than May 15, 2013.
- Submitted poems will not be returned. For notification of contest results please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- Manuscripts should be sent to:
Rhina P. Espaillat Poetry Prize
West Chester University
West Chester, PA 19383